Tuesday, July 28, 2009

ENFJ through and through


A while ago Harinder said this in comments:
...I do not agree that substituting reason with emotion is categorically irresponsible in matters of life and death. I think that kind of bold statement plays into the notion that reason is inherently superior/preferable/legit compared to emotion!
I just want to point out that this is so ENFJ:
Introverted Thinking is least apparent and most enigmatic in this type. In fact, it often appears only when summoned by Feeling. At times only in jest, but in earnest if need be, Thinking entertains as logical only those conclusions which support Feeling's values. Other scenarios can be shown invalid or at best significantly inferior. Such "Thinking in the service of Feeling" has the appearance of logic, but somehow it never quite adds up.

Introverted Thinking is frequently the focus of the spiritual quest of ENFJs. David's lengthiest psalm, 119, pays it homage. "Law," "precept," "commandment," "statute:" these essences of inner thinking are the mysteries of Deity for which this great Feeler's soul searched.
Of course, as a classic INTP, I take umbrage to this cavalier dismissal of reason:
Introverted Thinking strives to extract the essence of the Idea from various externals that express it. In the extreme, this conceptual essence wants no form or substance to verify its reality. Knowing the Truth is enough for INTPs....
In the end, it doesn't matter to me what your emotions are; you're gonna need a theory.

(Image: the 1781 edition of The Critique of Pure Reason, by Immanuel Kant. From Wikipedia)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha, just a few tangential comments:

-I don't like these boxed Meyes-Briggs personalities. I think trying to organize the entire spectrum/complexity of personality into a few major categories is just too hard to do well. Beings are just too nuanced!

-Also, I'm not for the cavalier dismissal of reason, but rather the elevation of emotion's legitimacy. I think when we elucidate the biologic underpinnings of phenomena such as "gut sense," emotions will finally get their due.

-Maybe Descartes should have been saying, "I FEEL, therefore I am!" ;)