Friday, April 4, 2008

Izott better than PBS?!

An article by one Froma Harrop complains about Hillary-bashing in the press of late, including the coverage of the comment from Sen. Leahy that Clinton ought to quit for the good of the party. Here is the criticism:
The latest collapse started some days ago on what is normally a four-star destination for good journalism, PBS's "NewsHour." The news summary started off with this: "Clinton's fellow Democrat in the Senate, Patrick Leahy of Vermont, today urged her to leave the race for the good of the party."

The "fellow Democrat" also happened to be one of Barack Obama's most ardent supporters, but whoops, they forget to mention that. For days even mainstream media were portraying Leahy, Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd and other members of the Obama team as "elders" thinking only of the party.

I agree that, if true, that is some biased coverage of the Leahy comment. However, I can plead innocent to this crime. For I included this caveat in an earlier post about the comment:
It should be noted that Leahy is an Obama supporter, so it is not as if he has any kind of neutral-observer/elder-statesman gravitas here.
Dude! I'm like so even-handed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A question I've been meaning to ask:
What the hell does iz/ott mean? or what is it referring to? Is it either/or in German or something? Please help me.

David Morris said...

It's just an off-spelling of is/ought; as you can imagine, that blog title was taken already.

I got it originally from David Hume's so-called is-ought problem, but I don't mean it to refer to any specific problem for the purposes of my blog...it just seemed to capture the general idea of a blog with both positive and normative content.

Where does "Dr. Scarab" come from?

Unknown said...

Umm, you obviously haven't sufficiently perused the new content on my blog, the Bionic Six Fan Club. Dr. Scarab is a character from Bionic Six. Come on dude, you're quoting Reagan from '84, you should be on point with your late 80's Saturday morning cartoons too.

David Morris said...

I was aware of the B6 revamp, I just don't know anything about it... I think I may be an uncultured swine when it comes to late-80s Saturday morning cartoons..