Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Carbon footprint

I decided to "calculate my carbon footprint". The result: I emitted 9.44, or about 10 tons of CO2 over the past year. The US average is 20.4; the industrial average is 11; and the worldwide average is 4 (I imagine that the non-industrial average must be something far below 4).

I have no idea how accurate this site is--indeed, some things tipped me off that it might not be the most accurate tool in the world (the obsession with local food, for example). But assuming it's giving somewhat meaningful results, you can still get a ballpark idea of what the big sources of CO2 are.

Of course, the big differentiator for me was the fact that I don't have a car and that I can bike to work--all of which is a function of living in a dense city. If I were living in LA with my own car, I imagine my mark would be up near 20. Moreover, air travel takes a pretty hefty toll--of my 10 tons/yr, 3 of those are from air travel (which goes to show that the gains from getting a fuel-efficient vehicle can be cancelled out by a jetsetting lifestyle).

Anyway, if anyone knows of a better CO2 footprint calculator, let me know.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I love the morbidly specific picture of an hour of a person's life that a pair of blog posts can give.

David Morris said...

Dude, I was like, having Spring Break parties and shit during the interim between those two posts. You don't even know.