Tuesday, June 16, 2009

But--that's all you do all day. It's your job

During the Magic-Lakers series, one of the storylines was how Dwight Howard doesn't have any moves. I mean, he's supposed to be this dominant low post player, the next Shaq, and the guy can't score because all he can do is 1) dunk and 2) these unconvincing running hook things. And so I remember saying to Harinder, this is crazy. Dwight Howard is a professional basketball player. I go to work for like eight hours a day testing software; this guy spends eight hours a day practicing basketball. How is it that he hasn't perfected--and I mean fucking perfected--at least 14 different post moves--with both hands? What is this guy doing all day? I mean, literally, I think I have more low post moves than Dwight Howard. I'm not even joking.

Anyway, the same sort of thing came up tonight, as I listened (yes, listened--mlb.tv was blacked out because I'm in the A's market, and my cable doesn't get hooked up till later this week) to the Dodger game. In the 10th inning James Loney tried to lay down a bunt--and couldn't, because he doesn't know how to bunt. I mean, to be fair, Loney's probably not gonna get asked to bunt many times in his career. But: still.

You're a fucking baseball player. It's all you do all day. You should know how to bunt.

And you're getting paid millions of dollars!

Gah.

No comments: