Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Long decision

Ok, well, I just spent the evening reading the court's decision (almost all of it: I skipped the section on why they didn't retroactively undo the "marriage" designation for those married before the ruling, and I skimmed some of the case history about the amendment/revision distinction)--so, yay me. But it's damn late, so I'll have to do a post about the decision for tomorrow.

Note, though, that for this issue I think the Pundit Equivalence Threshold is about 20 minutes--where the PET is defined as the number of minutes you need to read in order to know more about it than 90% of the pundits on TV. The court decision is surprisingly accessible and the first couple of pages give you a nice summary of the legal context of the case as well as an overview of how the state amendment process works. I'd say the first couple of pages are a must-read for all Californians.

No comments: