Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Understanding football: the offensive line


Recently I was hanging out with Harinder, and I got to talking about how I wanted to learn more about football. I mean, I can follow a game just as well as the next guy, but I don't really know much about plays and formations, or what the strategies are in designing and running them. (BTW, it turns out that the best way to learn this stuff is to play a lot of Madden. Which makes sense: probably the best way to become acquainted with any sport is to play video games of that sport. This phenomenon is the sole reason I know the offsides rule in hockey and can recite from memory the first line of the 1993 Detroit Red Wings.)

Anyway, at the moment the only real sort of football philosophy I've developed is this: it's all about the offensive line. To me, this is by far the most important component on the team, because a chain of dependencies makes it the case that everything falls apart when the offensive line is ineffective. Consider:
  • Without good pass protection, the quarterback can't get the passing game going--his hurried passes are going to be inaccurate and lead to turnovers.
  • This causes the offense to become imbalanced: now you have to run it. But not only is your offensive line unable to create holes for your running back, but the defense is expecting the run. So the whole offense gets shut down.
  • A sputtering offense means your defense is out there most of the game, getting tired and demoralized.
A good offensive line, on the other hand, means that your receivers have plenty of time to run their routes and--provided the QB is any good--generate the threat of passing for big yardage. Meanwhile, since the defense is guarding against the pass it can't stack the box, which gives the running game room to operate. With a healthy running game going, the offense can manage the play clock, tiring out the opponent while giving the defense a good rest.

I realize this is all probably pretty elementary, but it's where I'm at right now.

(Photo by the no doubt aptly named Flickr user Monica's Dad.)

No comments: