Friday, February 13, 2009

A good point about eating healthy

I never thought about this, but I think it's really true:
Home prepared meals are much less standardized, and not so fined tuned to hit the salty/sweet/fatty buttons over and over. Also, much of the shopping is done for them when you aren't actually hungry, and so you're likely to pick healthier foods with lower caloric density--committing your future self to behave more virtuously than it probaby would decide to on the spur of the moment.
Selecting what food you're going to eat on the fly is dangerous because your hungry tummy can end up persuading you to get the processed, fatty thing. But buying groceries forces you to pre-select your future meals while you are in a reasonably level-headed state (of course, if you shop while hungry you could end up getting all sorts of unhealthy stuff--which is why it's a bad idea to shop while hungry).

Personally, I basically don't eat any meals at home because it takes too much time and effort, and I'm fortunate enough to have enough change rattling around in my pocket to afford that sort of thing. But I think I'm ill served by the options I have--restaurants--because they don't usually emphasize health, and the food is served in a very labor-intensive way (waiters, busboys, etc.), making it more expensive than it needs to be (or, if I'm going to be paying that much, I'd prefer the money go towards higher quality ingredients rather than a waiter's salary). I wish there was a place that was geared for everyday dining, with healthier choices, changing menu items, and less of an emphasis on service--something like a college dorm cafeteria, or the in-house cafeteria here at Adobe.

No comments: