Saturday, June 21, 2008

Stunning observation

I was reading this article, and I must say that this kind of thing is starting to bug me:

“The common assumption today is that young people are apolitical, disengaged, hedonistic and only interested in partying,” says Bart Cammaerts, a lecturer in media and communications at the London School of Economics. “This is wrong...."

I think at this point the only person guilty of a "common assumption" is Mr. Cammaerts, who assumes that people have the assumption that today's boys and girls are apolitical. But with every other article in the magazines and newspapers being a "these young people today sure are engaged" story, does anyone really think this? I would say that if anything, there is a stereotype that works in the opposite direction: that "postmillennials" are seen as latter day Benjamin Franklins who get up at the crack of dawn to get into US News and World Report top colleges and found non-profit tech startups.

No comments: